It’s a Sunday evening and you have an Algebra assignment that you need to complete before school on Monday. The only problem is, you don’t remember exactly how your teacher explained two-step linear equations and you left your notes in your locker. Or maybe you are a mentor or parent and your student asks you for homework help but you can’t remember back to your high school chemistry class. What are the options for people stuck in these situations?
The Indiana Youth Institute KIDS COUNT Radio Show covered two different services that could be a major help in the case that a student needs homework help or tutoring. At Project Leadership, we have summarized the information on both the KhanAcademy and the Rose-Hulman Homework Hotline that mentors, mentees, and parents need to know about these great (and FREE) resources.
The Khan Academy is utilized by approximately 13 million users each month. The service is free for everyone with no subscriptions, no fees, and no advertisements.
- Online 24/7, computer-based help with instructional videos, practice exercises, and personalized learning dashboard
- Subjects: Math, science, economics and finance, arts and humanities, computing, & official SAT test prep
- Students K-12th grade & beyond
- Compliments modern teaching strategies happening in classrooms today
- Average video is 3-8 minutes long
The Rose-Hulman Homework Hotline is based in Indiana and is founded on Indiana Academic Standards to provide free homework help to thousands of children around the state.
- Toll-free phone service at 1-877-ASK-ROSE: open 7-10 PM, Sunday-Thursday, September-May
- Offers online resources: Study guides, test prep, and study skills
- Subjects: Math and science
- Students 6-12th grade
- Tutors are student peers that are carefully selected for proficiency in math, science, and communication
- Trained to help walk students through solving and understanding problems on their own
- Average phone call lasts 12 minutes
Don’t be afraid to take advantage of these great resources. Spread the word so that students can get the help that they need!